World

Jordan De Goey granted personal leave from Magpies


Controversial Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has been given personal leave from the AFL club, with no deadline set for his return.

It comes a day after he was hit with a suspended $25,000 fine and he apologized for his ‘disrespectful’ conduct at a party in Bali.

“Collingwood advises that player Jordan De Goey has been granted personal leave from the club and will not take part in the Round 15 match against GWS (Sunday),” the club said in a statement on Wednesday evening.

“Jordan has been absent from training this week and the club will continue to support him when he returns to the football programme.”

Footage emerged on social media last week of De Goey, who was allowed by the club to travel to Bali during his mid-season break, making rude gestures at a nightclub.

The fine is suspended until the end of the season and depends on good conduct.

De Goey will also “undertake further behavioral education” in addition to an existing counseling program, but has avoided any suspension from duty.

Collingwood has also suspended contract talks with the 26-year-old, who is entering free agency, until the end of the season.

“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the club has shown in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break abroad,” De Goey said in a statement. statement on Tuesday.

“My actions fell short of the standards expected of me as a person, as an AFL footballer and as a representative of Collingwood.

“I had worked hard this year to build the confidence in myself to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I undid that confidence.

“Once again, I apologize for my disrespectful conduct. I understand that I let a lot of people down and I have a lot of work to do to rebuild trust.

(Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

The 26-year-old’s statement contrasted sharply with his initial response via Instagram, where he lamented the media’s “persecution” of athletes.

De Goey also said he was diagnosed with ADHD last year and was “trying to become more aware” of why he made mistakes.

Collingwood general manager Mark Anderson condemned De Goey’s actions as disrespectful to women.

He was particularly appalled by the sight of De Goey pulling on a woman’s top, almost exposing her chest.

The Bali incident comes after De Goey was removed from his job by Collingwood last October when he was arrested for a drunken incident at a New York nightclub.

Anderson also said on Tuesday that De Goey would speak in the coming days, but it’s unclear if that will happen now given the player is on leave.

The AFL said Collingwood had “dealt with the matter appropriately” and the league would take no further action against De Goey, while condemning his behavior as setting a bad example.

© AAP

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button